Blackfriars Academy is committed to:
- Provide an outstanding educational experience for students with special educational needs by continually building on the expertise and experience of the staff.
- Provide a welcoming academy in a happy and supportive environment for each student where individual achievement, success and the joy of learning is celebrated by staff working as a team for the well-being of all.
- Enabling each student to develop a positive sense of worth and self- esteem by nurturing their skills in vocational and leisure activities to increase their capacity and capability to build bridges to overcome barriers and live and work as adults within our society.
- Enabling each student to achieve their full potential by providing a challenging, self- motivating and encouraging broad and balanced curriculum that is continuously, thoroughly and systematically assessed encompassing the National Curriculum and external accreditation, but tailored to the individual needs of each student.
- Creating a caring environment where everyone is treated with dignity and respect and each individual valued for their own unique talents.
These values are embedded in everything that we do in school: in order to help our young people to understand them, they are expressed through the Blackfriars' motto, Pride:
- Pride in our appearance and in all that we achieve
- Respect for ourselves, others and our environment
- Independent skills
- Determination to succeed
- Enjoyment of learning and life
Each student belongs to one of our Houses - Panthers, Tigers, Leopards and Jaguars and the Pride of Blackfriars is monitored by the Duke of Edinburgh Lions.
Parents/ carers of prospective students are welcome to visit and talk to our students about what an education at Blackfriars is like ñ they will give you a truly honest answer!
As an outstanding school, we are also able to lead a Teaching School Alliance which enables us to share the skills and expertise of the school with mainstream schools and Higher Education Institutes, within the local community, nationally and internationally thus helping to create an increasingly inclusive society.